Avalanche Hazard Considerable in the Alpine - Avalanche Conditions Report #5
We are back with Backcountry Skiing Canada to deliver you our 5th Avalanche Condition Report of the Season.
As most of us are aware we were hit with a pretty big storm in the last couple of days. This created some new hazards and challenging skiing conditions. Some highlights to be aware of are:
- Tuesday night's rise in temperatures, mixed precipitation, and strong SW winds created a widespread avalanche cycle in our area.
- A thick crust has formed on all aspects and elevations observed to 2150m, which has lowered the avalanche hazard but also created challenging ski conditions.
- Avalanche Canada is calling the hazard Considerable in the alpine.
- The forecast is calling for 5-10cm on Sunday and then maybe a bit more on Tuesday.
- Don't forget if you are heading into the backcountry to be prepared. Have a trip plan, communicate that to someone who is expecting you home, read the bulletin, and travel prepared for the worst-case scenario.
As always, play safe out there!