Special Public Avalanche Warning - Avalanche Conditions Report #3
We are back with Backcountry Skiing Canada to deliver you our 3rd Avalanche Condition Report of the Season. The past week we have seen touchy avalanche conditions with a series of pacific storms hitting us.
Some important items to note:
- We have 70-100cm of snow sitting on top of our December 8th rain crust and our December 13th surface hoar.
- These two weak layers in the snowpack are creating scary avalanche conditions.
- Over the week we saw skier remote, skier triggered, and explosive triggered avalanches ranging from size 1.5-2.5, mainly running on this weaker instability.
- Avalanche Canada has issued a Special Public Avalanche Warning for our area because of these layers and the condition of our snowpack. Go to avalanche.ca to read more.
- Potentially 5cm of snow on Boxing Day before the next storm is projected to hit us next Wednesday.
Happy Holidays & play safe out there!