Avalanche Skills Training 1
Your gateway to the backcountry. Get off the chairlift and get out there!
This course is nationally recognized and essential for adventuring beyond the resort boundary. An evening classroom session, followed by two action-packed field days beginning at Whitewater Ski Resort - exploring decision making, avalanche dynamics and self-rescue skills while moving through backcountry avalanche terrain.
Learn hot tips and tricks from Whitewater’s own Snow Safety personnel on how to make the most of your backcountry adventures. Small group sizes allow for a supportive learning environment with one-on-one feedback and provide a great setting to meet your future touring buddies.
Success in the backcountry begins here, with an AST1.
What you'll gain
- Trip planning skills
- Identification of avalanche terrain
- Safe travel techniques
- Companion rescue skills
- An in depth understanding of the avalanche forecast
- The Avalanche Handbook and Avaluator
- A nationally recognised AST1 certificate
What experience is required?
|Backcountry Ability||None! This course is for everyone! It’s ideal for someone who has never ventured beyond the boundary, and for those who are already getting out there. No matter your experience or ability, we tailor our courses to your needs and knowledge.|
Some! An average level of fitness is required.
You should be comfortable being outdoors in cold weather all day, and able to undergo moderate physical activity throughout the day.
You won’t be left behind, and snack breaks on the way up the skin track are always encouraged.
|Riding Ability||A strong intermediate riding ability is required, with confidence in untracked powder and trees. This is not a skiing course, we’re here to learn. With a bonus run back to the resort each day!|
- Dec 19 - 21, 2022 - **FULL** email for waitlist
- Jan 2 - 4, 2023 - **FULL** email for waitlist
- Jan 13 - 15, 2023 - **FULL** email for waitlist
- Jan 27 - 29, 2023 - **FULL** email for waitlist
- Feb 6 - 8, 2023 - **FULL** email for waitlist
- Feb 17 - 19, 2023 **FULL** email for waitlist
- The first day is from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm and takes place in town. The second and third days are from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm at Whitewater Ski Resort.
- AST courses require a minimum of 6 participants to proceed. If a course has fewer than 6 participants it will not run and those scheduled to take the course will have the choice of a full refund or to be scheduled in a later date (if available).
- Cancelations must be made outside 48hrs from the course start time. A $25 admin fee will be applied to cancelations.
- All participants in Avalanche Skills Training courses must complete a student release on the first day of the course. This can be viewed below.
Price: $300 + GST
Click to view the AST Student Release Online Click to view the Whitewater Backcountry Access Waiver Online
- To book, call 250.352.1286 or email email@example.com
- Lift tickets are included in program prices unless otherwise stated
- Program availability and lesson formats are subject to change
- Lessons must be paid in full at the time of booking
- A $25 refund fee will be applied to all cancellations after the time of booking
- Cancellations made more than 48 hours prior to the lesson start time are eligible to be rebooked or refunded minus the refund fee
- Cancellations made within 48 hours of the lesson start time that cannot be rescheduled are not refundable
- Refunds will not be issued for no-shows
- Taxes are not included in the advertised price and all lessons are subject to 5% GST