Decoding the backcountry
The Managing Avalanche Terrain course delivers big mountain concepts at your level.
Develop advanced terrain skills and build experience in just one day.
Our small course sizes provide a great environment to learn, with dialed instructors and endless terrain to choose from. This one-day course gives you the lowdown to navigate through complicated avalanche terrain, on your way to find the best turns on the mountain.
Your morning begins learning how to plan a day trip using the best resources available. Then head outside to put your plan into action! You’ll begin to assess terrain and snow conditions as you travel and adapt to the conditions you find. Later, head to Coal Oil Johnny’s to debrief and swap numbers with your future touring buddies over tasty apres beverages and snacks. Please note that to enter Coil Oil Johhny's in the 2021.2022 winter season proof of vaccination is required and therefore another suitable location may be chosen for the debrief.
You must have completed Avalanche Skills Training 1 in order to book the Managing Avalanche Terrain course.
- Advanced trip planning skills using the regional avalanche forecast, weather forecast, maps and other online resources.
- The ability to recognize changing conditions and adapt your trip plan as you travel.
- Advanced terrain management skills and route finding experience.
- Contact with touring buddies that have similar experience and knowledge as you.
- A Managing Avalanche Terrain certificate from Avalanche Canada.
What experience is required?
Have you just started to explore the backcountry and want to increase your knowledge? Have you been exploring for a while and want to dial in those skills?
Great! We’ll tailor the course to your skills and experience.
The AST1 course is a prerequisite.
A reasonable level of fitness is required. You should be comfortable being outdoors in cold weather all day, and able to undergo consistent moderate physical activity throughout the day.
You won’t be left behind, and snack breaks on the way up the skin track are always encouraged.
|Riding Ability||A strong intermediate to advanced riding ability is required, with confidence in untracked powder and trees.|
- Jan 2, 2022
- Mar 6, 2022
Course runs from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm at the resort.
- MAT courses require a minimum of 4 participants to proceed. If a course has fewer than 4 participants it will not run and those scheduled to take the course will have the choice of a full refund or to be scheduled in a later date (if available).
- Cancelations must be made outside 48hrs from the course start time. A $25 admin fee will be applied to cancelations.
- To book, call 250.352.1286 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All lesson guests must have a valid season pass or daily lift ticket. Lift tickets are not included in program prices unless otherwise stated
- Program availability and lesson formats are subject to change
- Lessons must be paid in full at the time of booking
- A $25 refund fee will be applied to all cancellations after the time of booking.
- Cancellations made more than 48 hours prior to the lesson start time are eligible to be rebooked or refunded minus the refund fee.
- Cancellations made within 48 hours of the lesson start time that cannot be rescheduled are not refundable.
- Refunds will not be issued for no-shows
- Taxes are not included in the advertised price and all lessons are subject to 5% GST