90cm's this week! - Avalanche Conditions Report #8
We are back with Dave and Backcountry Skiing Canada to deliver you our 8th Avalanche Condition Report of the Season.
Here are some key highlights to be aware of:
- 90cm of snow has fallen in the past week with light to moderate SW winds creating a reactive storm slab that sits on the January 25th surface hoar.
- This surface hoar is more prominent between 1600-2250m, wherein the alpine this new snow is sitting on either old wind pressed snow or the January 13th crust.
- We saw a widespread avalanche cycle between Sunday and Tuesday with some of our nearest neighbours seeing historical avalanches.
- Avalanche Canada is calling the hazard considerable, remember that this means natural avalanches are possible and skier triggered avalanches are likely.
- It's expected to snow 5-10cm tonight and another little bit of snow coming Saturday.
- Skiing is great but this is not a time to step out - ride the resort!
As always play safe out there!